Blackberry Lemon Scones
These scones are made with whole wheat flour, giving them more than 3 grams of fiber per serving!
½ cup Fresh blackberries
1 ¾ cup White whole-wheat flour
2 ¼ tsp Baking powder
¼ cup Raw cane sugar
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup Butter, cold, unsalted and cubed juice and zest of 1 lemon ½ cup + 1 tbsp milk
1 Tbsp Raw cane sugar (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the blackberries with 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir to coat and set aside.
3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, stir together the remaining flour, baking powder, remaining ¼ cup sugar, salt and lemon zest. Then, gradually work the cold, cubed butter into the dry ingredients using two knives or a pastry blender until it is distributed evenly throughout the flour and in pea-sized pieces.
4. Stir lemon juice into the blackberry-dough-sugar mixture. Add berries to the dough and gently stir to incorporate. Add milk and continue to stir until dough forms a ball.
5. Transfer the dough ball to an ungreased baking sheet. Roll out the ball to form a flat, round disk about ½ inch thick. Cut the disc like a pie, into 8 equal pieces before sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the scones.
6. Bake scones for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Serving Size: 1 Scone